Take a look inside. Image: AMBAR DEL MORAL / MASHABLEby Jack Morse2019-02-14 01:59:49 UTC

Flip the home page of the Internet, and you'll probably find that it's not just Reddit users who are interested in what goes on behind the scenes.
The company released its annual Transparency Report on February 13, providing both a detailed look at data requests from governments around the world and the number of Reddit content removal administrators. The data provides insight into how often the company decides to play ball with government officials, and how often it tells them it should go.

This report covers the entire year 2018 and continues a practice begun in 2015.
For starters, it is worth noting that Reddit received 752 requests from the government last year for "receiving or creating user account information." Of these, 171 should preserve the user account information, and 581 should create it.
"Reddit has met 91% of the retention orders received," notes the report. "Reddit released information about the user account in response to 447 (77%) of them [production] Requests. "
This applies in particular to so-called emergency requests, which Reddit divides into its own category.
"In 2018, Reddit received a total of 234 requests for information disclosure worldwide," the report said. "Reddit has released user account information in response to 162 (69%) of these requests."
Interestingly, this represents an increase of 470 percent over the number of such requests received in 2017.
However, the report not only informs users about how often government agencies request information. It also discusses the rate at which Reddit administrators – non-voluntary subreddit mods – delete user submissions for content policy violations. And maybe not surprisingly, it's a lot.
In particular, administrators have removed 173,347 content. This applies in particular to content removed as a result of violations of the Spam Content Policy. The reason for these moves ranges from "impersonation" (2.3 percent) to "harassment" (18.6 percent) to "encouragement of violence or self-harm" (15.9 percent).
There is another treat that Reddit throws in the report, providing valuable insights into the rules for content moderation: the user's success rate. The company has only granted 29 percent (12,881) to appeal moderation decisions, while the remaining 71 percent (32,535) have been rejected.
It's hard for a content policy that violates redditor. But hey, they probably already knew that. As for the rest of us? Well, when it comes to handing our Reddit user data to the government, we're probably out of luck.

Source link